Who’s your IT department?
If you’re like most small businesses, computer problems or questions are solved by driving to the store where you bought your computer, calling the phone company, or just having everyone gather around the computer and stare anxiously at it, hoping someone will be able to figure out the answer.
Some recent numbers from studies of small businesses in the United States:
- 83% of small businesses have no security policies for their computers or data stored on computers.
- Only 47% update their software regularly.
- About half have no website.
- 75% of those that have websites do not have a mobile site.
- Fewer than 3% are using LinkedIn, the primary social media network for business.
- Small businesses that tried to hire tech-savvy workers took an average of 5 months to find the worker, and paid 70% more than for non-tech workers.
Obviously, most small businesses just don’t have an IT department, or even an IT guy in the office.
Remote support is probably a better bet for most small businesses. Remote support means calling an IT company for help, and allowing the technicians to connect with the computer in your office.
The first time you try remote support, you might find it strange. If the technician isn’t able to help you quickly by asking you to take actions with your computer, he or she may ask you share your screen and to give him or her control of your mouse and keyboard.
When you agree, you’ll see things happening on your screen as though your technician were sitting at your desk and using your computer.
Don’t worry — you can see everything that’s happening at your computer.
If remote support solves your problem, you’ve just saved the cost of a repair visit.
Better yet, sign up for remote monitoring. Instead of waiting until you have a problem, remote monitoring is proactive. Your IT company checks regularly to make sure that your computers are healthy, and fixes problems — usually with remote support — before you even know you have a problem. This is a lot like having an IT Department, but the cost is only a fraction of the cost of hiring even one tech worker.
Call 732.549.6030 to discuss your IT needs. You may find that ASIS is the perfect IT department for your small business.